Data Warehouse Architect
Posted Jul 09
Hi there! We're looking for a Data Warehouse Architect to join the data team at Zapier. Interested in helping grow a product that helps the world automate their work so they can get back to living? Then read on…
Even though our job description may seem like we are looking for a candidate with a very specific skillset, the role will be tailored to the person who applies and joins. Regardless of how well you feel you fit our description, we encourage you to apply if you love collaborating with teammates to understand and address their data needs and help them become more effective.
You have experience with data warehouses. You’ve ingested data from other systems, made sense of them, matched up data without the luxury of cross-system identities and built conformed models from them. You have experience optimizing queries, especially on column-oriented storage systems.
You are hands on. You don’t expect to come up with designs and leave implementation to others. Instead, you dig in and get stuff done.
You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You can communicate unfamiliar technical topics clearly and approachably.
You enjoy understanding and communicating user and system behavior through data that is easy, consistent and fast. Our data is published in a Kimball-style data warehouse to ease and speed-up access.
You will thrive with our team’s values of eagerness to collaborate with teammates with any level of data warehousing knowledge, iterating over your deliverables, and being curious.
You understand that perfect is the enemy of good and default to action by initially shipping code and systems that simply work and work simply, while iterating as needed to get towards better solutions.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
- Much of the time, you’ll tackle performance issues with ad-hoc and nightly jobs.
- Model slowly changing dimensions, transactional, periodic snapshots (we usually use daily), and accumulating fact tables.
- Implement ETL to extract data from large, event-based data structures.
- Collaborate with Data Engineers, Analysts, and Scientists to prioritize tasks, implement data ingestion, matching and transformation pipelines, introduce quality assurance checks throughout a data bus architecture.
- Design, document, implement, and maintain patterns for effectively performing these tasks.
- The tools we use today are SQL, Matillion ETL, AWS Redshift, Redshift Spectrum, Looker, Kafka, AWS Athena, Google Analytics,, Airflow, Kubernetes, Python, and R. Besides using them, you will be involved in future tool selection with the rest of the team.
- As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.